- (70) Jesus said, "That which you have will save you if you bring it forth from yourselves. That which you do not have within you will kill you if you do not have it within you."
This is a commentary on Mt 25:15
- Mt 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
- Mt 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made [them] other five talents.
- Mt 25:17 And likewise he that [had received] two, he also gained other two.
- Mt 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord’s money.
- Mt 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
- Mt 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
- Mt 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, [thou] good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
- Mt 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
- Mt 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
- Mt 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
- Mt 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, [there] thou hast [that is] thine.
- Mt 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, [Thou] wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
- Mt 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and [then] at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
- Mt 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give [it] unto him which hath ten talents.
- Mt 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
- Mt 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
The riddle is to discern what the servants had within them.
It helps to know that a talent wages for a servant for about a year. Normally the master cares for the servants, but since he would be away he gave them sufficient to care for themselves while still serving him in whatever capacity they were able. Had he not provided for them, they would have had to work for someone else.
Jesus is the master who would be leaving for a while. He provided sufficient resources for his servants to care or themselves and still serve him. That's the hint. What does Christ provide for his servants so they can still serve him while he is away? He gives his indwelling Spirit. The last servant did not continue serving Christ. He did not 'let his light shine'. When Christ gives a new life within you, he intends for that life to be fruitful and multiplying. This servant forfeited life by not living it.