God repeats ideas in different ways to teach man how to read his word. The post “Teaching children” showed the idea of God being the creator repeated and expanded from an invisible letter to the whole Bible.
Now consider the word for heaven shamayim שמים. The word is repeated telling us a new meaning. Sh- mayim is spirit – waters. The position of the shin puts it at the head of the word. The head of something is over that something. So we are told, from the word for heaven:
- Ge 1:2 And the Spirit of God moved (hovered) upon the face (surface) of the waters.
This is a secondary metaphor for the aleph א. The diagonal vav is the Spirit hovering between two yods.
mayim מים is a dual form of water. מי is water, and ים is water. The yod hovers between the waters. The yod is the first primordial spark of life given to creation.
Water represents the Word of God. It has two aspects: Holiness and Love. The water above is Holiness. The water below is Love. He is Holy and separate. We are loved.
The Spirit hovers over the water below. This means that the word of God is attended to by the Spirit of God.
- 2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
The water/Word below does the will of the Water above:
- Joh 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things :soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
- Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
- Joh 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
The Spirit descended upon Jesus at his baptism coming from the water above, into the water below. The Spirit hovered upon the face of the waters.
Next: Teaching children -3