Gospel of Thomas - Chapter 021
- (19) Jesus said, "Blessed is he who came into being before he came into being. If you become my disciples and listen to my words, these stones will minister to you. For there are five trees for you in Paradise which remain undisturbed summer and winter and whose leaves do not fall. Whoever becomes acquainted with them will not experience death."
Thomas gives the clue that words are stones. We have seen this previously.
The first sentence is the answer to the riddle. Christ is the only one who pre-existed his incarnation. Another key to this riddle comes from Matthew. Particularly take note of the last word.
- Mr 8:24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
The five trees in the garden of Eden are all symbols of Christ:
- 1. The Tree of the knowledge of good and evil - a literal tree
- 2. The Tree of life - a literal tree
- 3. Adam - a man like a tree
- 4. Eve - a man (as in human) like a tree
- 5. God in the garden - though not a man, he was 'walking'.
The five trees are all Christ. He is undisturbed (unmoving in his determination to face the cross) through grieving and reproach. He does not lose his branches, or tribes... those who belong to him; they are secure.