Parable of the Leaven
- Mt 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
- Lu 13:20 And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God?
- Lu 13:21 It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
- leaven: teaching Mt 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade [them] not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine [teaching] of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
- Consider also the commandment to clear the house of leaven before the Passover. If the Passover is a symbol of the cross when Jesus passes over our sin because we have been covered by his blood, then how are we to purge ourselves of sin before receiving the grace of the cross? If it could be done we wouldn't need the cross. We purge ourselves of old teaching so that we are ready to receive the New Teaching of Peace.
- woman: The bride of Christ. The church.
- three: God in Trinity
- meal: The Hebrew word grain קמה is a pun to meal קמח but it also means 'she arises'. 'She' refers to the church, the bride of Christ.
- measure: מדה also means 'tribute'
- three measure of meal: The tribute of Christ's bride. The church has been called to be the witnesses of God. We spread the word by teaching others to be disciples.
Retelling the mystery
The Kingdom of Heaven (New Teaching of Peace) is like the church who starts with a small teaching as a tribute and testimony to God, and it grows until God's whole church is taught. There will come a time when there is no teaching because all will know Christ. (Heb 8:11)