They understood ח
The het (or chet) is similar to the hei but the vav extends to the top indicating a full response. The hei represents hearing, without understanding. The het represents understanding, similar to the metaphor for seeing.
Elohim אלהים is translated as 'God'. One of the embedded meanings is: God el אל separated from his people im ים by their blindness ה. His people do not understand him. His sheep hear his voice but don't understand the words which are taught.
- Eph 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
When his people understand, it produced life.
- Pr 16:22 ¶ Understanding [is] a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools [is] folly.
- 1Jo 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, [even] in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
The Hebrew word for life chy חי is mirrored in Greek as the letter chi which looks like a cross. In Chinese it means "life force".
Though there are many who teach that life comes from understanding, in scripture, there is a third symbol, walking, which represents life. We are drawn to God when we hear, we understand when we see, but we live when we walk in understanding.
Wisdom is the application of knowledge in fear of the Lord.
- Ps 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
- Pr 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- Col 4:5 ¶ Walk [live] in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.